600gm whole fish ( garoupa/seabass)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
dash of salt and pepper,combined
2 tbsp cornflour
oil for deep frying
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp finely chopped bunga kantan
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp finely chopped lemon grass
1 tbsp finely chopped cilipadi
2 - 3 tbsp oil
1 tbsp chili paste
2 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp thin coconut milk
1 tbsp Nampla ( fish sauce )
1 tsp sugar
pepper to taste
spring onion curls and coriander leaves
1. Clean fish well. Cut through from the head to tail and open up the fish. Dip fish into beaten egg mixture. Leave aside for 10 - 15 minutes
2. Coat the whole fish with cornflour then deep fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
3. Drain well and place fish on a platter
4. Heat oil in a wok.
5. Stir fry chopped garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add cilipadi and the rest of the chopped ingredients. Stir fry well.
6. Mix in the seasoning ingredients and simmer until gravy thickens. Pour sauce over the fish and garnish before serving
Note : The above is a original recipe from http://kuali.com/recipes by Amy Beh. I used seabass and I only cut the fish into 2 pieces instead of cut through the fish from head to tail and open it up. I did not used the egg mixture instead I just coat the fish with salt and plain flour. I also omit the bunga kantan because I don't have any.