Daun Kesum ( Kesum Leaves )/ Sweet Basil Leaves
Ray wings - cut into small pieces
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 lemon grass - crushed
1 tsp black pepper
6 tbsp chili paste
1 cup of tamarind juice
1 cup water
handful of daun kesum or sweet basil leaves
1. Blend onion, garlic and blackpepper until fined.
2. Heat oil in pot.
3. Saute blended ingredients until fragrant.
4. Add chili paste, lemon grass and turmeric powder.
5. Stir fry until oil rises to the top.
6. Add daun kesum.
7. Add tamarind juice and water.
8. Add fish.
9. Add salt to taste.
10. Simmer for few minutes or until fish is cook.
Note: I learn how to cook asam pedas from my late mother and this is one of my favourite dishes. My mother always add ground black pepper and daun kesum only when she cook ray wing assam pedas or cat fish assam pedas but not with other fish. Daun kesum also known as Vietnamese coriander, Laksa leaf or vietnamese mint. It is a fragrant leaf that is usually used for cooking especially in assam pedas or laksa asam.