Sunday, March 29, 2009

STIR FRY LEEKS WITH TOFU



Ingredients
2 medium leeks - sliced
2 red chilies - sliced
2 firm tofu - sliced
3 cloves garlic - chopped
150gm prawns - shelled ( substitute with dried shitake mushroom)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp light soya sauce ( substitute with dark soya sauce )
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp cornstarch( mix with 4tbsp water )
2 tbsp oil

Method
1. Heat oil in frying pan. Saute the firm tofu until brown. Set aside.
2. Using the same oil , add garlic and saute until fragrant. 
3. Add shitake mushrooms, red chilies, oyster sauce and dark soya sauce.
4. Add leeks. Mix in tofu. 
5. Add cornstarch mixture, ground white pepper and salt.
6. Mix well and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
7. Dish out and serve immediately


Note: The above is the original recipe from seasaltwith food. I have made some modifications on the recipe based on the things that are available in my kitchen. As such, I have substitute the prawn with dried shitake mushroom which I have soaked in water until soft and sliced the mushroom thinly. I think it would be nice to use prawns but prawns is very expensive here and it is not the same type that I could get back home. The type of prawns that I had here is called langoustine. Langoustine are a member of lobster family. I don't really like it because they don't really have much meat.  I have also substitute light soya sauce with dark soya sauce. To my understanding, light soya sauce usually has a lighter color and a saltier flavor than the dark soya sauce. Dark soya sauce is often used for dishes that need the rich color and light soya sauce is for taste. However the one that I have here looks exactly the same. I could not tell the difference between light and dark soya sauce because both are lighter in color and saltier flavor.

No comments: