1/2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp fennel ( jintan manis)
1 tbsp coriander
1 inch ginger
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp soto powder or soup powder ( serbuk rempah soto/ serbuk rempah sup )
1 stalk lemon grass - crushed
9 pieces of chicken ( bone in )
1/2 chicken cube
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 stalks spring onion
a handful of beansprouts
1. Grind onion, garlic, ginger, black pepper, fennel and coriander in a blender until fine and well combined.
2. In a pot, heat 3 tbsp of oil and add star anise, cardamom and cinnamon stick until fragrant.
3. Add in the grounded ingredients and stir continuosly until fragrant and oil rises to the top.
4. Add water and chicken and let it boil for 20 - 25 minutes( or until chicken are cooked)
5. Take the chicken out and let them cool.
6. If necessary add more water in the chicken broth.
7. Add lemon grass, soto powder, chicken cube and salt and let it boil for 15 - 20 minutes
8. In a meantime, shred the meat of the chicken. Set aside. You can also put back all the chicken bone in the soup.
9. Serve hot with rice cake ( nasi impit), shredded chicken meat, beansprouts, potato croquettes, spring onion and ground peanut.