6 0z butter - room temperature
6 oz caster sugar
6 oz self raising flour
11/2 ( one and half ) tsp baking powder
finely grated zest of 1 orange
For the Syrup:
2 oz icing sugar
juice of 1 orange
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
2. Cream butter in a large bowl until soft.
3. Gradually add the sugar and orange zest and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time , beating well between each addition.
5. Sift the flour and baking powder in the mixture and stir in gently.
6. Pour this mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 60 minutes or until the skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
7. While the cake is cooling, make the syrup.
8. Spoon the syrup all over the top.