250 gm lasagne sheets
300 gm mozarella cheese, grated
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
500 ml fresh milk
a slice of onion
2 to 3 cm piece of carrot, sliced thinly
1 bay leaf
1 sprig fresh parsley
8-10 black peppercorns
1 Bombay onion - finely chopped
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
1 stick celery - finely chopped
75gm carrot - finely chopped
4 tomatoes - skinned and chopped
400 gm mince beef
1 bay leaf
1 tbs dried oregano
dash of dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
1 tbsp tomato paste/tomato puree
dash of grated black and white pepper
1. Combine and cook all ingredients for the white sauce in a saucepan.Bring to a low simmer for a few minutes.
2. Remove the saucepan, cover and leave aside for 10 to 15 minutes to infuse the milk with the flavours, then strain and discard the unwanted ingredients.
3. Melt butter over a low heat and add in the flour.Keep stirring and cook for 40 seconds to a minute
4. Pour in the flavoured milk and stir continuously for five minutes until a smooth sauce is formed.Put aside.
5.Heat oil in a saucepan and fry onion and garlic until brown. Then add in celery and carrot and fry it until soft.Stir in minced beef and cook until brown.
6. Add tomatoes and herbs and continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes.Stir in tomato paste and seasoning.Simmer gently until sauce turns thick.
7.To make the lasagna, first spread a layer of meat sauce on the base of a baking dish. Add two to three tbs of white sauce.Sprinkle two tbs of grated mozarella cheese over the layer of sauce.
8. Arrange a lasagna sheet over the layer of cheese.Repeat the layering process untill all the ingredients are used up.Finish with a layer of meat sauce, white sauce and mozarella cheese.
9.Bake lasagne in a preheated oven at 190 or 200 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until the top layer turns golden brown
Note : You can add cheddar cheese in the white sauce. As for me I am using grated mozarella and cheddar cheese.
Source : http://www.cari.com.my